When it comes to smoking a brisket, there are a few things you need to know. This guide will walk you through the process of smoking a 10 lb brisket so that it’s cooked to perfection. Follow these steps and you’ll have juicy, tender brisket that will be the envy of all your friends and family.
Here are the steps to smoke a 10 Lb brisket:
- Choose the brisket and trim the excess fat.
- Season the brisket cut with a dry rub.
- Cover up in foil and refrigerate.
- Get the Pellet Grill ready and smoke the brisket.
- Check the internal temperature of the brisket, let it rest and slice.
The rest of the article will delve deep into the steps mentioned above and you can also get to know some useful tips and techniques in smoking a brisket.
Using those techniques you will get the perfect smoked brisket even if you are a complete beginner.
Smoking a 10 Lb Brisket
Have you ever smoked a brisket? If not, you’re in for a real treat!
Smoked brisket is fall-off-the-bone tender and so flavorful. It’s the perfect dish for a big gathering or party.
I’m going to show you how to smoke a 10 lb brisket like a pro. Keep reading for step-by-step instructions.
You are going to need,
- 10 lb beef brisket
- A Pellet Grill
- A cooking thermometer
- Plastic wrap
- Ingredients for the rub ( Mentioned below)
- Cutting board and a serrated brisket knife
1. Choose the brisket and trim the excess fat.
When choosing a cut of beef to smoke, there are a few points that you should keep in mind. You should look for a prime cut of beef with an adequate amount of marbling. Ask for your butcher’s guidance if you are a complete beginner.
Now it’s time to trim the excess fat.There will be two parts of the brisket, namely the point and the flat.
- First, pat dry the fat cap of the brisket with a paper towel.
- Then trim the fat cap until it is ¼ of an inch
- Lastly, turn the brisket over to the other side and trim any large chunks of fat and silver lining.
2. Season the brisket cut with a dry rub.
When learning how to smoke a 10 lb brisket, you can be simple and use just salt and pepper for the dry rub and let the natural deliciousness do its thing or you can make the most heavenly brisket rub used in Texas with the following ingredients.
- 5 tablespoons paprika powder
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Mix all of this in a bowl and you have the perfect brisket rub.
Before you rub on the mixture, apply a thin coat of mustard on the brisket so that the rub stays stuck to the brisket.
Rub the dry mix all over the brisket generously.
3. Cover up in foil and refrigerate.
You can of course start smoking it right away but it is recommended to let the brisket sit in the refrigerator so that it absorbs all the flavors from the spices.
So if you have the patience to try the most amazing brisket ever, wrap the rub covered brisket in a plastic wrap and let it rest and season in the refrigerator for 12 hours or ideally overnight.
4. Get the Pellet Grill ready and smoke the brisket.
You can use many types of wood to heat up your pellet grill for smoking a 10 lb brisket like hickory, red oak wood and for a touch of sweetness you can also combine some apple or maple wood.
- So prepare the Pellet grill with any wood of your choice and set it to 225 °F and keep the lid closed for 15 minutes.
- After that place the brisket fat side facing down and smoke for 6 hours. The internal temperature should be 160 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s better to use the cooking thermometer for this.
- Then remove the brisket from the pellet grill and wrap it in foil and smoke again for 3 to 4 hours.
5. Check the internal temperature of the brisket, let it rest and slice.
After smoking the brisket, check the internal temperature of it with a cooking thermometer and it should be 200 degrees fahrenheit.
It is recommended to let the smoked brisket rest for at least one hour before slicing it. 2 to 3 hours is ideal.
Slicing Your Brisket
You have learned how to smoke a 10lb brisket and now let’s get into slicing it.
You will need a cutting board and a brisket knife that is serrated to cut the beautifully smoked 10 lb brisket.
The technique used to slice a smoked brisket is to slice against the grain. This means to cut against the direction of muscle fibers in the brisket.
This will retain the juices and the soft texture of the brisket without making it chewy.
Slice into thin slices with the serrated knife against the grain and it’s all done!
So, there you have it. Our guide on how to smoke a 10 lb brisket. We hope that this article was helpful and that you are now ready to tackle smoking a brisket of your own.
Remember to be patient and take your time – the end result will be worth it!
If you have any questions or tips of your own, please share them in the comments below.